Our industry is embracing sustainability, changing the way we work and the work we make.
To represent the steps our members are taking on their sustainable journey, we launched the StepForward Pledge in 2023. Whether you are just starting your journey, or you have been working on your sustainability for a while, members can register their interest in the StepForward Pledge today. Be one of the first to step forward and support the Pledge.
Why does our industry need a Pledge?
As the global fight against climate change intensifies, businesses and consumers are paying greater attention to their environmental impact. According to a 2022 Global Sustainability Survey*, 56% of UK consumers rank sustainability as a top five value driver which means your customers will too.
Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) targets are crucial in delivering long-term benefits and business growth. To support our members in managing the risks and opportunities of ESG, embedding sustainability within their products, operations and in the communities in which they serve, we are launching the BPMA StepForward Pledge.
The StepForward Pledge is a BPMA-led initiative helping members take proactive steps to improve their sustainability performance, accelerating the pace of change towards a more sustainable future for our industry.
Benefits of signing on to the StepForward Pledge
- Join a network of forward-thinking businesses helping the industry transition to a low carbon future
- Enhance your reputation among customers, staff and local community as a business committed to supporting the transition to net zero
- Help raise the profile and relevance of the promotional merchandise industry; addressing climate change and environmental challenges
Register your interest today
Whether you are just starting your journey, or you have been working on your sustainability for a while, you can register today to start your steps forward on your sustainability journey. The StepForward Pledge is voluntary for all current members and is included in your membership fee.
Register your interest here
Be the first
The StepForward Pledge is officially launched in June 2023 and by registering your interest, you’ll find out how to sign up, what’s involved and the benefits to your business. Complemented with resources and learning every member can access, sign up for more information today.
Find out more via our Member support sessions
The StepForward Pledge is now live and we are already celebrating some of the first members who have committed to their Pledges. We are hosting regular member sessions which will be listed on the Events page and require registration. These sessions provide every member with what you need to know about the Pledge, what we're asking you to commit to and importantly why. Taking you through each pillar focusing on Products, People and Planet, these lively and informative sessions are there to answer your questions and give you the chance to ask the BPMA anything you want to know!
Following the launch, we are now running support sessions monthly to advise anyone taking their Pledge or considering taking the Pledge and to answer questions. Please see our events calendar to register for a support session.
Becoming a StepForward Signatory
Once you have registered your interest as a member, you will be sent a link to complete for an online assessment or use one of the other formats (pdf/word). The Pledge also includes the provision of a Sustainable Statement for your business. This is a mandatory piece of information each member is required to submit to complete the Pledge. If you don't have a Sustainable Statement, we have created guidance to help you create your own which can be found here. Please note, member will need to login to access downloadable examples.
By signing on to the StepForward Pledge, your business is asked to make a commitment to a series of positive actions that will help reduce your carbon footprint and impact on the environment while improving your sustainability performance.
Step 1: Register your interest in supporting the BPMA StepForward Pledge here
Step 2: You will receive a link to the Pledge Assessment which can be completed online or via a pdf or word template provided, accompanied by detailed Guidance
Step 3: Complete the Assessment form in the format which suits you best, submit and upload your Sustainability Statement
Step 4: Once complete and approved, you will receive a BPMA endorsed StepForward Pledge logo for use on your website and other marketing materials
Step 5: Access additional complimentary BPMA sustainability resources
- The StepForward Pledge is open to all BPMA members and is voluntary. There is no charge to take the Pledge in the membership year 2023-2024*
- The StepForward Pledge requires you to complete an online assessment and submit a Sustainability Statement. This statement will be uploaded to your member profile.
- Registering for interest does not commit you to signing up for the Pledge; it is to help us identify those members who would like to know more.
- The 'find out more' webinars are open to all members wanting to find out more and each session covers what's involved for each company signing up to the Pledge.
- This is a member only programme however we are inviting businesses interested in joining the BPMA to join introductory sessions (see the events page) as a guest. Please register your interest and we will be in touch.
- Once signed up for the Pledge, further resources will be made available to members in addition to the wide range of resources already available to members when they log in.
- The Pledge will be an annual process to update records and involves a public declaration on their member profile for both distributors and suppliers - this means your Sustainability Statement. Please note the Assessment is not for public view.
- The BPMA will not be vetting all products each supplier and distributor sells.
*Any new member joining from June 2023 will be required to take the Pledge as part of the Membership Application process. All current members will be required to complete the Pledge from June 2024 onwards.
This is a big step forward for our industry. If you would like to discuss the Pledge and what it means for you, please contact Carey Trevill or Tom Robey at the BPMA on 01372 371 181.